Old Maps of Liverpool
As a large city, Liverpool has seen a great many maps and plans made of it. Some of these maps show the wider area around the city, and may include areas as far afield as North Wales or Manchester, Lancaster or Chester.
All maps can be bought as high quality prints from the Liverpool History Bookshop.
This map of Liverpool by G. W. Bacon (called “The Environs of Liverpool”) was published in around 1885. It shows street-level detail, although only the names of the major roads are marked. The map covers the Wirral and the Mersey in the west, stretching across Liverpool from the Mersey in the west to St. Helens in the east.
This is the north half of a detailed plan of Liverpool published in 1890. It is incredibly detailed, showing every road name, paths within the parks, and even individual buildings in some streets (where those buildings were big enough). There’s also an index to road names down two sides, making it easy to look up a place of interest.
This is the south half of a detailed plan of Liverpool published in 1890, and it’s a partner to the North Sheet (above). As well as an index to streets down either side, there are concentric circles showing distances from the Town Hall, each one quarter of a mile apart. The version available on Historic Liverpool is an adapted version of the original, with the parliamentary wards colour-coded.
This is a more detailed map to accompany the smaller-scale Environs of Liverpool map (below) from the Royal Atlas of England and Wales, published in 1898. Although not covering nearly as great an area as the other map, this plan includes the names of individual roads, docks, railway stations, parks and the grounds of the two biggest football teams on Merseyside.
This historic map covers a wide area – in fact there is a second frame attached which shows the Environs of Manchester from the same volume, the Royal Atlas of England and Wales. Because of its size and coverage, details are harder to see compared to the two old Plans of Liverpool, the North Sheet and the South Sheet (above) of 1890.