This map of Liverpool by G. W. Bacon (called “The Environs of Liverpool”) was published in around 1885. It shows street-level detail, although only the names of the major roads are marked. The map covers the Wirral and the Mersey in the west, stretching across Liverpool to St. Helens in the east. The most distinctive man-made features on the map (and the only features on the key) are the railways, which are marked sleepers and all.
Also standing out are the parks, including Knowsley in the north east and the city centre parks, and are marked in green.
The map is useful or exploring the shape of Liverpool’s docklands in the middle of the 19th century.