Walton-on-the-Hill Village Cross and Stocks
In the Binns Collection, vol. ii., p. 26, an illustration is given of this structure, consisting of a classical pillar carried on three steps. Adjoining it are the stocks, so arranged that the culprits sit on the bottom step. The pillar may have carried a sun-dial, replacing the ancient cross. The drawing is dated 1818. The structure is shown in an open space opposite a half-timbered building.
Rev. E. Horley, in his History of Sefton, writes: “It is within our memory that there was at Walton-on-the-Hill a pair of stocks close to the churchyard wall, where we find that in 1858 a person was confined by order of the local magistrates.”