The Church Street cross is a brass Maltese cross. It sits inlaid in the pavement at the entrance to the passage to School Lane. The plaque stands at the position of the altar inside St. Peter’s Church, which used to stand on this site
, and which gave Church Street its name. The road has been significantly widened since the church was demolished, which is why it stands in the road today. St. Peter’s became the cathedral for Liverpool when the city became a parish in 1699. It was demolished in 1922, once the present Anglican cathedral was ready to hold services.
Mapping the History of Liverpool
Interactive maps of Liverpool's suburbs, old maps of Merseyside, and details of our protected, listed heritage.