History of Garston
Garston lies on the banks of the Mersey, to the south of Liverpool city centre, and Toxteth. It is separated from the latter by the Otterspool. Two other brooks once flowed through the area, one of which flowed through the village and into the river. It was noted in the early 20th Century that coastal erosion was quite a threat to the area, with 15 yards being lost in 25 years. Aigburth and Grassendale constitute the spread of the suburb from its original centre, but as little as 100 years ago fields for grazing were to be found between the houses.
Gerstan usual until the end of the 15th Century; Gerston, 1201; Garston common from 1500; Gaherstan, 1205; Garstong, occasionally, giving rise to confusion with Garstang.
Origins of the name:
Protected Heritage in Garston
Historic Features in Garston
Located near the river, Garston was a natural location for docks to grow up, and this proportion of the dock landscape was characterised by raw materials for the iron and copper works, and in the 1960s by stacks of wood related to the Baltic timber trade, which supplied the Bryant & May matchworks. There was also a gasworks in Garston, although potatoes and corn were still grown in 1900 in this remarkable area of mixed industry, agriculture and residence.
There was once a sugar works in Garston, but this closed following an arsenic poisoning incident. In 1900 the industry was dominated by a salt works and fishery. The area was particularly vulnerable, however, to the decline in international trade which badly afftected Liverpool in the later 20th Century.
The principal road through the township has always been the Liverpool – Garston – Speke road, running parallel with and half a mile from the riverbank. Tramways also served Garston well to and from the city centre.
The Cheshire Lines Committee Railway had stations at Aigburth, Otterspool, Mersey Road (close to the Liverpool Cricket Ground), Grassendale (Cressington Park) and Garston [check current status]. The London and North West Railway had stations on the Warrington to Crewe line on the north east bounary of the township, at Mossley Hill and Allerton Road (now Allerton).
There have been two ancient crosses in the township. The base of one lay opposite the south porch of the old chapel, and other other by the old mill dam. The second of these was re-erected on a new plinth near St. Francis’ church. There was an accident and smallpox hospital in the area at one time.
Name: Aykeberyt, Aykeberk early on; Haykebergh, 1327; Aykebergh, 1361; Ackeberth, 1537; Aykeberth, 1544; Egberigh, 1600.
Aigburth was once simply a descriptive word for the area north west of Garston and west of Allerton [name means?].
Aigburth Hall is believed to have been the grange of the abbott of Whalley
The area was incorprated into Liverpool in 1903.