Plan of Liverpool – South Sheet (1890)
This is the south half of a detailed plan of Liverpool published in 1890. It is incredibly detailed, showing every road name, paths within the parks, and even individual buildings in some streets (where those buildings were big enough).
There’s also an index to road names down two sides, making it easy to look up a place of interest.
It’s a partner to the North Sheet, also available on Historic Liverpool. There are also concentric circles showing distances from the Town Hall, each one quarter of a mile apart.
The version available on Historic Liverpool is an adapted version of the original, with the wards colour-coded. This old map covers Toxteth to Princes Park (and includes a slice of Sefton Park on its eastern edge), shows areas of West Derby, including undeveloped streets to the north of Edge Lane, and covers the very centre of Liverpool.
Here we therefore see the Customs House which occupied the site of the original Old Dock (and now Liverpool One) and other long-gone building such as St. John’s Church behind St. George’s Hall, St. Peter’s Church on Church Street, Central Station and St. James’ Cemetery, where the Anglican Cathedral now stands.