History of Wavertree
The highest part of the township is in the centre and to the north, at over 200 feet above sea level. The village itself stands at the highest part, on the road from Liverpool to Woolton, and known here
Wavretreu, Domesday; Wavertrea, 1167; Wauertre or Wavertre is most usual from 1200, with Wavertrie as a variant. Wartre occurs in 1381, and becomes common later, it gives the old local pronunciation, Wautry.
Shortly before the Norman Conquest, at the time of the death of Edward the Confessor, the manor of Wavertree was in the hands of a man called Leving.
Near the terminus of the trams at Picton Clock there is a green open space, where there was once a pond, and nearby was Monks Well, a ‘pin well’, engraved with the words ‘Qui non dat quot habet//Daemon infra ridet. Anno 1414’. To the east of the pin well is a piece of land which, according to the terms of the local Enclosure Award, must remain open forever.
A windmill once occupied a site, accordingly on the brow of Mill Lane.
Wavertree Playground, known as the Mystery, is a tract of land said to have been given to the town by Mr. Philip Holt, although the lack of certainty in this manner is what gives the field its nickname.
Along with Kirkdale and Everton, Wavertree was one of the earliest suburbs to become part of Liverpool, being incorporated into the city boundaries in 1835.
The Liverpool to Manchester stretch of the London and North West Railway ran along the north boundary of the district, through the Olive Mount cutting (a feature celebrated as a monument to early railway engineering). A northern branch line led to Bootle docks. The Liverpool to London railway went through the township to the west, and the Liverpool tramway system extended as far as the top of High Street (Picton Clock).
Today, of course, Wavertree is well known for the Technology Park. This was created by the Merseyside Task Force on 35 acres of land, and created 1000 jobs for the area.