History of Huyton
There was no clear boundary between the townships of Huyton and Roby, to the south west of Huyton, but the boundary with Whiston was by a brook running through Tarbock to join Ditton Brook.
Hitune, Domesday; Houton, 1258; Huton, 1278; Hyton and Huyton, 1292. The last form is the most common spelling from 1300.
The area around Huyton is fairly flat in the south, although the land is more undulating in the north. The Victoria County History called it a ‘pleasant residential area’. This comment was apparently to be borne out by the suburban expansion of the post-war period. Norris Green, Walton and Huyton were all areas of rapid expansion in the 1950s and 60s. In Huyton, however, a second wave of building occurred in the 1960s when it was realised that the first phase had been insufficient to cope with the growing population.
The main Liverpool to Prescot road runs through Huyton, with the South Lancashire system of tramways running along it from the boundary of Liverpool to St. Helens and beyond. The road from Liverpool, through Broad Green to Roby was always the principal road through the district.
The London and North West Railway ran through the centre of Huyton, and just to the east of the village a branch led to Prescot and St. Helens. Huyton and Huyton Quarry stations served the area.
Huyton quarry was notable a hundred years ago for the presence of coal shafts and ventilators. The Huyton Quarry mine was the closest of the south Lancashire coal mines to Liverpool. The coal measures worked by these mines were to the south east of the old village, and the area is still known as Huyton Quarry. In around 1830 wire drawing (for watchmaking) was present in Huyton. There was a brewery, as in many villages in the area.
As Huyton was away from the main built up area of Liverpool, a number of large houses had the space to grow up. The Hazels (or Red Hazels) and Hurst House were in the north east corner of the township; Wolfall Hall was on the north boundary, Dam House on the Roby border; and Huyton Hey just south of the station. A cross was erected in the village green in 1820. The idea was to fill up the space used for cock-fighting and bull-baiting! Huyton Hey was a farmhouse by 1907, with the site of a moated farmhouse adjacent.
Name: Rabil, Domesday; Rabi, 1292; Roby, 1332 and after.
Childwall Brook separated Roby from Childwall. Page Moss is the name given to the area at the most northerly corner of the township.
In 1372 Sir Thomas de Lathom succeeded in gaining a charter for Roby, as part of a grand scheme to improve the area. Like the city of Liverpool had done 150 years previously, burgages were to be attracted to the area with a ‘rood’ of land (known as a burgage) and were to be free of ‘tolls, terrage and stallage’. They could also grind corn at the lord’s mill, and had liberties of pasture and turbary.
The principal road through this early addition to Huyton was that running from Liverpool, through Broad Green to Prescot. Court Hey and Roby Hall are at the south end of the district. The London and North West Railway ran along an embankment to the north of the main road, with Roby Station as as a stop on that line.
A cross was located on the main road, with stocks adjacent. There was also an old font in the churchyard. In 1304 Robert de Lathom received a charter for a market and a fair at Roby. The market was held weekly, on Fridays, and an annual fair was held on St. Wilifred’s Day.