History of Aintree
Aintree is located at the north end of Liverpool. It remained as a tiny village until the 20th Century, before expanding rapidly, spurred by the race course, and the siting of new housing and industry
- Tiny Beginnings, Industrial Expansion
- Horses and Cars at Aintree Racecourse
- From an acorn ain mighty oak
Aintree, 1226; Ayntre, 1292 (this is the usual medieval spelling); Eyntre occurs, Ayntree and Ayntrie in 16th Century. (VCH Lancs: III)
Origins of the name: Saxon, One tree, or ‘tree standing alone’.
The very name ‘Aintree’ conjures up the flat emptiness of the local landscape. The Saxon words ‘ain tree’ mean ‘one tree, or ‘tree standing alone’. The one tree may be an actual feature found here in ancient times, or the name could be tongue-in-cheek, suggesting that the area had ‘just about one tree’.
Local legend says that the recently felled oak in Bull Bridge Lane was the ‘One Tree’, although for this to have been standing at the time the area was named, the tree would have had to have been between 1000 and 1500 years old when cut down.
Mossland made up the vast majority of this featureless plain. Like much of Merseyside, clay and sandy soils created a boggy, waterlogged area until the Alt Drainage Act reclaimed the land for farming in 1779.
Aintree was a tiny rural village until the beginning of the twentieth century. In 1894 the population was only 300 – too small for even a parish council! The first signs of change appeared as industry arrived. With the opening of the British Enka Artificial Silk factory, a handful of new houses were built for the factory workers near the Blue Anchor. Three years later more houses were built at the east end of the village, and then more on the main road to Liverpool.
Aintree’s great advantages for industry lay in its landscape and location. Factories could expand across the flat open land as they liked, attracting more and more workers. Housing could be built in huge chunks so workers could live close by. Products from the factories could be moved quickly to Liverpool and its docks. Even the military realised the possibilities, and sited one of the Royal Ordnance Factories here in the 1930s.
So from the late 19th century until to the Second World War, Aintree expanded at a phenomenal rate. In the later twentieth century, more ‘clean air’ industries joined the growth. Food processing, electrical engineering and printing were all close by, along with similar sites growing in Speke. By 1952, 24 factories were employing 12,800 people, as part of a post-war move to re-allocate
Britain’s industrial resources.
Aintree today is inseparable from the racecourse and the Grand National. Horse racing had been a popular sport in Liverpool since at least Tudor times. In the 18th century Nicholas Blundell organised races on the sands at Crosby and the Derby was run here in 1780. William Lynn,
landlord of the Waterloo Hotel in Aintree, created his racetrack close to his own pub in 1829. In 1836 he opened a new grand stand, and a four mile steeplechase was won that year by Captain Beecher on ‘Duke’. Some researchers prefer to think of this race as the first true Grand National.
By 1839 the aristocracy had taken an interest, and a national racing event was run
backed by Lords Derby, Eglington, Wilton and Sefton and Lord George Bentinck. 50,000 people crowded into the event, and the race was dubbed the ‘Grand National’ by a journalist. The label gradually came into common usage, and in 1847 the name was officially adopted.
But it’s not only horses which have been raced around Aintree. The British Grand Prix was raced in Liverpool five times between 1955 and 1962, and in 1953 Stirling Moss became the first Briton to win it. Car racing finally came to an end at Aintree in the early 1980s.
Aintree was not mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, being merely a small part of West Derby. The flat and featureless place may have gained it the name ‘One Tree [and no more!]’. But once the boggy land was drained and industries moved in, the landscape worked in its favour. The proximity of Liverpool was the perfect way to transport goods to market, and companies flocked to take advantage of the open space and growing workforce. Aintree is known to racing fans and the
wider public for its steeplechase, but for almost as long the village has been the centre of an industrial tradition which carries on today.